Varsity: Neighbourhood Perfected
Here are just a few of the features that make Varsity such a great place to live...
Some of the best views in the city. Mature green spaces everywhere you look. Easy access to the city, to shopping, to the river, the foothills and the mountains—by car, bike and LRT. Some of the best schools in the city. Next door to the University of Calgary, to SAIT, to Foothills Hospital and Alberta Children’s Hospital. Unending sport, recreation and cultural activities on your doorstep.
“Varsity” is made up of three separate communities: Varsity Acres, Varsity Village and Varsity Estates. It borders the Bow River valley and Sarcee Trail to the west, Crowchild Trail to the north and east, and Market Mall on the south.
If you live in Varsity (or dream of living there!) think of this page as an index to explore Varisty. Click on the links below to discover just some of the great features of this neighbourhood.
- Fantastic mountain, foothill, river valley, ravine, natural park, golf course and cityscape views
- A community with mature trees, well designed green areas and parks, well laid out streets
- Safe, convenient roadways and excellent walk & bike paths within neighbourhood
- Easy access to city by road, LRT and bike pathway systems
- Nearby access to the newly constructed ring road system
- Gateway to the mountains and the foothill recreation regions
- Excellent elementary & junior high schools:
- Two of the top high schools in Calgary:
Universities, Polytechnic, and University Colleges
Neighbouring and Nearby Retail Shopping
- Safeway, Co-op, and Organic Planet in Varisty or next door; easy access to Superstore
- Lots of accessible green space in the community
- Borders the walking and biking pathway system of the Bow River Valley, with connections to the whole walk and bike path system along the Bow River over the whole length of Calgary
- Borders the 165 hectare Bowmont Natural Environment Park with walk & bike pathways and off-leash areas: “a diversity of environments such as prairie grasslands, shrub lands, aspen groves, three major ravines, riverine woodlands, and aquatic habitats. In addition, Bowmont Park holds 172-recorded species of birds, and mammal, reptile, fish, and insect populations." For pictures click here.
- 10 minute walk to the world famous trophy trout fishery of the Bow River. I don't want to leave out any of the fishing guides to the Bow River. Just google "Bow River Trout."
- 3.5 km to Edworthy Park (includes large off-leash area); 7km to Bowness Park; and many more nearby park areas within the city
- 4 km to the 1129 hectare Nose Hill Natural Environment Park (many kilometres of walk and bike pathways, and an immense off-leash area): “one of the most significant examples of this grassland ecosystem left on the Canadian prairies.” For pictures see here.
- 8km to Canada Olympic Park
- 1hr drive to the mountains in Kananaskis Country & Provincial Park, with endless world-class recreation opportunities
- 1.5 hr drive to Banff in Banff National Park and endless world-class recreation opportunities
- Golf: dozens of great golf settings nearby, with several world-class courses within an hour’s drive. This includes the Silver Springs Golf and Country Club within the borders of Varsity!
- Next door to several arenas & pools; UofC recreation facilities, including the Olympic Skating Oval at UofC
Varsity Community Information & Statistics
- Varsity Community Statistics are available on the City of Calgary's Community Profiles page.
- There is a wealth of information here, including population and demographics, political representation, the state of homes in the community and income levels. There are several links to information on City of Calgary facilities and programs that you might want to access, crime information, police contact, information about your property, and lots more.
The Tip of the Iceberg
- There is lots more to discover at your doorstep in the community of Varsity
- Here are some websites to explore that connect you to the people, history, businesses and current events of Varsity: